And I changed my profession... (Part 3)

This part is going to be a little difficult for me. There was a time when many things were going on in my mind. Now looking back at that that turbulent time from a distance and putting it down rationally is a task for me. Also this part involves a bit about academic performance of my elder one. She does not like me talking about it. And she is one the readers of write ups. But I hope she will be able to understand my state of mind then.

So the thoughts of taking tuition started shaping up in my mind and my elder daughter's academic performance needed serious attention. She was studying in 7th standard then. Her school is a CBSE board affiliated school. As compared to SSC board, the volume of overall curriculum is more in CBSE. Also you need to understand the concepts thoroughly so as to attempt all the questions in the paper and get good marks. I, being a full time working professional, was not at all involved in her studies. Whatever was taught in the school was not sufficient for her to understand the concepts clearly. Because of some practical difficulties, it was not possible to send her for tuition.

And then we got her first term results and I was really worried. (This is an understatement!) I couple of years she was supposed to appear for her 10th standard exams. With such a weak foundation, how can she get good marks!

I knew my elder one was a bright student. Whenever I used to meet her teacher, the discussion always used to end up with the remark, "She has the potential, she just needs to perform."

As a mother I was overwhelmed with so many emotions. I already had a communication gap with her. (I will definitely write about this in a separate write-up.) Tough I was working on it, a guilt was there for not offering the support she needed from me. (I understand it not a deliberate act from my side, but I somehow failed to understand her needs.) It made me think if getting a promotion or a good salary hike in the office, at the cost of my daughter’s well being will definitely not make me happy.

I mean, I know just potential doesn’t lead a person to a successful life. And I just couldn’t imagine Shravanee lagging behind, just because she did not get the support she required in her crucial years.

I completely understand that getting good marks may not be an ultimate goal of life. But it can be a measure of a person’s confidence in self and positive outlook towards whatever he/she is supposed to do.

My elder one had many a times asked for my help in her studies. But due to my commitments at office and home, I was not able to help her. But her 7thstandard’s first term result was an eye opener for me. But I still was not sure if I will be able to sit with her after coming back from office. Hence I decided to start tuition for her class. So if I get even a single student other than my daughter, the commitment increases. Hence I put a message on her school’s whatsapp group that I would be conducting tuition. And I got a zero response. I was a little disheartened. Still I taught her a couple of topics for her next unit test. Her performance was improved a little. 

But after results of this unit test, I got a query from one of my elder one's friend’s mother regarding tuition!

To be continued…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

इस मोड से जाते हैं .... (१)

कथा - भिंतीवरील चेहरा

इस मोड से जाते हैं .... (२)